Macro Diffuser

Back in 2011, I bought the Canon EF 100mm F/2.8L IS USM Macro Lens. I was excited to try this lens compared to macro tubes but even with IS you don't shoot macro at F/2.8, more like F/14 which means your shutter is too slow for handheld.

I needed a solution so like anyone else I googled it. I saw a lot of people using ring lights but those are expensive and my budget for photography already took a big hit from buying the lens.

I knew I needed a light source to help with the small aperture so I decided to build this.

I used this camera only as an example. I sold my Canon gear a while back.

It's a portable softbox for my flash. This makes my light source much bigger and closer to the subject which makes much softer light. Inside I lined it with aluminum foil paper.

As you can see it's not very pretty but it does works really well from these pictures. These were shot with a Canon 50D + 100mm F/2.8L IS USM Macro Lens and Yongnuo Speedlite YN560.

100mm 1/200s F/14 ISO 400

100mm 1/200s F/14 ISO 400

Now I no longer own my Canon gear so I will do another test this year with just macro tubes to prove this is possible without a dedicated macro lens.

Comments