Desk Perspective (50mm vs 28mm)

I think if you're shooting stills, the longer the better. In this case, I compare a 50mm with a 28mm. I would like to see the difference between 135mm vs 85mm vs 50mm. I already saw a similar comparison with those focal lengths for headshots and even nature and you can clearly see the difference is distortion and background compressed between focal lengths.


This is a good example from DPReview:




For this shot, I'm not working with a background but sometimes your background prop isn't very big but with and a longer lens, it will compress things to fill in the frame. My TeaCup post is a good example. I only had a board and my plant to fill in the background.

Longer is better but sometimes you might run out of room. As you can see from my setup picture, my camera is almost against the wall to capture the desk.




I don't have a setup picture for the 28mm but I was about half the distance compared to the 50mm. The light changed a lot because of the clouds so 28mm shot isn't as good but this is only to compare the difference.

28mm 1/15s F/8 ISO 200
I tried my best to reproduce the same composition but it's difficult. I tried to reproduce the compressed keyboard look from the 50mm shot but I couldn't. Also, the desk looks better in the 50mm.



This is the same picture but edited. I spend a lot of time on the computer so besides wanting to compare lenses, I also wanted a nice picture of my desk. I waited for nice morning sunlight to come through the blinds to create a nice warm effect on the desk.

50mm 1/5s F/8 ISO 200

Comments