Rolling Shots

I used to do a lot of car photography because I like cars. It was a great category of photography for me because it was 2 passions in 1.

There are many different angles and ways to shoot a car to make it interesting. Especially rolling shots. This is fine and all if you have someone to help you. They drive the car and you peak out the window shooting the other car. Unfortunately, I didn't want to rely on someone else for this so I did some research and found this:



This clamps on your window and it has a mount for your camera. Before rolling I would park both cars at the angle I want to catch (the chasing car being about half a car length behind) so I can adjust the angle of the camera. I would also use my camera strap and tie it to something inside the car in case the mount would fail.

These shots were taken with my Canon 50D + 17-85mm EF IS Lens. You will need an optical stabilized lens or body for this. I set the camera to focus on shutter press. I used a camera trigger remote on burst mode.

To get the blurry road you need a slow shutter speed but too slow and it's almost never sharp because of the car vibration. So I would set the camera on shutter priority at 1/60th to 1/80th second. We would roll at 100km/h.

17mm 1/80s f/7.1 ISO 320

28mm 1/60s f/7.1 ISO 200

Comments